1 dozen muffins
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup orange juice, divided
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ,divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine apricots and 1/4 cup orange juice in a small bowl. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 1 minute. (Alternatively, bring to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat.) Set aside to plump.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and Nu-Salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk, oil, orange zest, vanilla and remaining 1/4 cup orange juice. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Add the plumped apricots and juice and mix just until blended. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon wheat germ.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned and the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: the ratio is 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Per muffin: 220 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 36 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 185 mg sodium; 284 mg potassium.