15 Aug Broccoli Cheese Chowder
Broccoli Cheese Chowder is a satisfying remake of broccoli chowder that benefits from the creamy texture of cooked potatoes and smooth, tangy reduced-fat sour cream instead of getting its richness from as much as a cup each of cream and cheese. Not only is the flavor vibrant, but a single serving gives you over half of the daily recommendation for vitamin C.
6 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans of vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces broccoli crowns, (see Tips), cut into 1-inch pieces, stems and florets separated
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion and celery soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potato and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, dry mustard, and cayenne; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and broccoli stems; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in florets; simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes more. Transfer 2 cups of the chowder to a bowl and mash; return to the pan.
- Stir in Cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated for about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Ingredient note: Most supermarkets sell broccoli crowns, which are the tops of the bunches, with the stalks cut off. Although crowns are more expensive than entire bunches, they are convenient and there is considerably less waste.
Per serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat ( 4 g sat , 3 g mono ); 21 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 508 mg sodium; 436 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv), Calcium (34% dv).